Now in its third year, the Ferenc Jolesz Memorial Award has a two-fold purpose: to honor the memory of Ferenc Jolesz, a world-class visionary with a passion for pushing surgery into the 21st century and a pioneer of focused ultrasound as a non-invasive therapy, and to recognize and encourage this same innovative spirit in mid-career researchers and clinicians who continue to advance focused ultrasound.
The recipient of this award will deliver a presentation at the 7th International Symposium that will be based on his or her research. He or she will also receive a $5,000 cash award.
Nathan McDannold, PhD, and Seung-Schik Yoo, PhD, MBA, received the award in 2016 and 2018, respectively. The 2020 award recipient will be notified in late summer.
This award is open to all individuals who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must be active in focused ultrasound therapy research as an established doctorate or physician with at least 10 years’ experience in his/her specialty and made his/her greatest contribution to focused ultrasound in the last two (2) years.
- Applicants must be conducting translational or clinical research in the field of focused ultrasound therapy.
- Nominations must be submitted via the online nomination system.
2020 Ferenc Jolesz Memorial Award Committee
- Morry Blumenfeld, PhD, Quescon Consultants, Ltd. and MediTech Advisors Management, Jerusalem, Israel
- Kullervo Hynynen, MSc, PhD, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Elisa Konofagou, PhD, Columbia University, New York, New York
- Hao-Li Liu, PhD, Chang Gung University, Taiwan
- Nathan McDannold, PhD, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
- Clare Tempany, MD, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
- Kobi Vortman, PhD, Insightec, Ltd., Haifa, Israel